Our next Call for Artists will be out later this summer! Be sure to check out our current show, “Spirit” in place on June 12th, 2017. The show continues all summer, until September 15th. We will be posting future Artist Calls on this page, but in the meantime you can review some of our guidelines:
Types of Art
- We invite artists from all cultures, ethnicities, and religious practices to prepare suitable 2-D or 3-D works to submit for display at our gallery. It is our purpose to include in this show visions of the Spirit and the Sacred through divergent expressions. Christian, Muslim, Jewish and Eastern traditions are only the beginning. Indigenous, Animist, and Earth-centered expressions of Spirit are also encouraged.
- Interpretation, content, or focus about how to respond to the show theme is open to the artist. (However, because we are hanging works in a church common area (Narthex), overtly sexual, demonic, satanic, excessively violent, or sacrilegious themes will not be acceptable.)
- All submitted 2-D works for display must have a hanging wire firmly attached to the back (taped string or wire is not sufficient)
- 2-D works do not have to be framed but the edges must be finished in some way (painting with a neutral color, wrapping the image around the edge, etc.)
- Please submit JPEG images electronically (max. of 1200 pixels on longest side) of proposed 2-D and/or 3-D works (or works in progress), along with updated artist’s biographies and artist’s statements by the deadline for each show to firstname.lastname@example.org (If you need more time to prepare an entry, please ask).
- There is no fee to artists for submitting and showing their work.
- All art may be for sale, but may also be displayed as not for sale.
- The church receives a 25% commission on all work sold. Sales may be conducted directly through contact with the artist, or by arrangement with the gallery co-curators.
- It is the artist’s responsibility to pay the commission to the church if transactions occur solely between the buyer and the artist outside of gallery hours.
- It is the artist’s responsibility to pay Minnesota State Sales Tax on items sold at the Sower Gallery.
- Please note that all Gallery tasks such as administrative, installation, hospitality, openings, etc. are done by volunteers (we have no paid administrative staff). Any assistance to accomplish various tasks will be greatly appreciated.